Friday, January 29, 2016

Zayns First Solo Zingle Review

Sometimes disappointment is inevitable. I had a pretty busy day becoming an adult, talking to advisors, working, starting taxes, willingly cleaning my room. I knew my day would be worth it in the end when I got home, and listened to Zayn Malik's first zolo zong PILLOWTALK I feel like a fool.

Granted, I am on my third listening so theres obviously something to be heard in his new venture, but nothing new or inventive. There was a lot of hype set up behind his new zolo career, a lot of hope that he was a phoenix rising from boyband ashes destined to become the next Justin Timberlake. Malik set himself up to be a very different from his former band, but with a few minor changes PILLOWTALK very well could have been on One Directions Made In The A.M.

With his Fader interview, talk with Beats 1 Radio, and endless twitter beef last spring, we really saw a side of him that we didn't get to see in One Direction, and its a side a lot of people enjoy. He's a cool guy, who isn't afraid to do whatever the fuck he wants. He's a rebel, and there was a lot of hope that that would shine through in his debut. But alas, it did not.

Does it matter that Zayn Malik's first solo single may not have risen to the expectations that were set?  Fuck no. Its still an absolute banger! It doesn't surpass Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, The Weeknd or anything else that plays on the radio, but fits perfectly in-between them all. It was exciting to imagine Zayn going towards a less mainstream audience. But, I'd rather have a mainstream artist who's proud of what their doing, than someone being told what to produce.

PILLOWTALK - ZAYN = 7

No comments:

Post a Comment