Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie, Under Pressure & Me

David Bowie had always been an artist I wanted to get into, but never quite did. I only know a couple of songs from Bowie, and if I compiled them onto an album it'd be titled David Bowie's Basic Hits. I listened to Heroes in high school when I read Perks of Being a Wallflower. It quickly became a high school staple and I would blast it whenever I wanted my own "infinite" moment. I know of the spacey greatness in Life on Mars, and have memories of Lets Dance being on every 80's-centric radio station I've ever listened to. But the Bowie song that's had the biggest impact on my life is his duet with Queen, Under Pressure.
Bowies last big part in Under Pressure is what gets me the most. I'm not sure what was meant when the lyrics were written, whether there's an incredibly deep meaning behind it or not, but this is how I interpret it. We love our family or our partners, even in their darkest moments. We may hate what they do sometimes, but we rarely ever stop loving them. That undying love helps create a positive circle around you. Despite all the pressure we're constantly under, its alleviated by putting love out into the world and making the most of "our last dance," which Bowie seems to have done better than anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment