Friday, July 24, 2015

Why Do We Love?

(I'm not that great of a writer, and I'm still trying to find some sort of "voice" so to anyone actually reading my posts, stick with me because it'll get better eventually. If you've got any criticism please throw it my way, it'll be greatly appreciated.)

I decided to watch Annie Hall for the billionth time tonight. Romantic comedies have definitely been a topic of interest for me lately, and I think its because I grew up in an age where a majority romantic comedies starred JLo and Matthew McConaughey. I've been conditioned to have low expectations for romcoms, so finding all of these classics like Annie Hall and Breakfast at Tiffany's is like having cake when all I've ever eaten is used napkins.

I'd love to be able to say that watching all of these movies has made me a love and relationship expert, but really I'm even more clueless than before. We put ourselves through hell, and for what? It was best said at the end of Annie Hall, “A guy walks into a psychiatrist's office and says, hey doc, my brother's crazy! He thinks he's a chicken. Then the doc says, why don't you turn him in? Then the guy says, I would but I need the eggs. I guess that's how I feel about relationships. They're totally crazy, irrational, and absurd, but we keep going through it because we need the eggs.”


I'd like to point out that the comparison works well for both romantic and nonromantic relationships. We go through heaven and hell to make ourselves, our partners, our families and friends the happiest they can be. Sometimes we act selfishly and fuck up. As much as it sucks, we're human and it happens... a lot. But sometimes, whether its accidentally or on purpose, we do something right. Any heartache or failure we've ever experienced seems to disappear because the person thats loved and supported us through it all, seems just as happy as they've made you. 

Everything I'm saying is a total theory. I could totally be looking at this the wrong way. Maybe love is just a way to make ourselves feel like we're worth something. Maybe we don't actually need love. Maybe its just some sort of airborne sickness created by the government to cover up a scandal. Who the hell knows? 

No comments:

Post a Comment